Our sister publication, Environmental Daily Advisor, reports from the 2013 National Institute for Storage Tank Management’s (NISTM) recent storage tank conference that the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) gave a really detailed, 3-hour review of Spill Prevention, Control, and Countermeasure (SPCC) regulations and best practices.
Here are 4 more things I picked up that I bet you didn’t know about the SPCC.
7. Underground storage tanks (USTs) can be exempted from SPCC regulations. Any UST that is regulated by 40 CFR 280 and 281 does not fall under SPCC regulations. However, for facilities that are otherwise regulated, exempted USTs must be identified on the facility diagram of the SPCC Plan.
8. Requests for extensions are allowed but probably not a good idea. Any facility can submit a written request for more time to prepare, implement, and/or amend its SPCC Plan; however, it raises a huge red flag to the EPA that your facility is out of compliance. If you insist on requesting an extension, proceed with caution.
9. Your facility diagram doesn’t have to be fancy. Your SPCC Plan is required to have a facility diagram (or sometimes also called a facility map), but there are no requirements around the format. Your diagram can be as simple as a hand drawing or as complicated as a computer-aided design (CAD).
Are you despairing over getting your employees trained on the SPCC? It isn’t easy to fit it in—schedule-wise or budget-wise—but now there’s the SPCC—Spill Prevention, Control, and Countermeasure Library from TrainingToday. Train all your people, at their convenience, 24/7. Start Your Free Trial.
10. Most facilities require a Tier II plan. According to the EPA, 66 percent of the more than 650,000 regulated facilities are Tier II facilities and are eligible to more streamlined SPCC requirements. The big difference here is that Tier II facilities have to write a full-blown SPCC Plan, BUT do not have to have it certified by a licensed professional engineer (PE) and may self-certify their Plan.
What else do your trainers need to know about the SPCC? BLR’s new TrainingToday SPCC (Spill Prevention, Control, and Countermeasures Library provides employees and supervisors with critical training on tank inspections, EPA visits, Underground Storage Tank (UST) compliance, spill prevention and response in agricultural settings, and much more.
Use this new library—with 6 employee and supervisor courses—to meet your training requirements under the EPA’s SPCC regulation. Here are the courses you get:
- Spill Prevention, Control, and Countermeasure Plan (SPCC Plan)
- Class C UST Operator Training
- How to Properly Inspect Oil Tanks
- SPCC for Agriculture
- SPCC: What to Expect from an EPA Inspection
- Training the Trainer: Effective Techniques for Dynamic Training
Train on demand with TrainingToday. Register today to start your FREE trial, and get instant access to over 20 environmental compliance courses. Start Your Free Trial.
And just what is TrainingToday? Read below to find out more!
Training to Engage Learners
Unlike many training solutions available on the market today, BLR’s TrainingToday courses are highly engaging and interactive. They are also routinely reviewed and updated to reflect changes in federal regulations or best practices. Each training course is developed by BLR® lawyers, industry experts, and instructional designers who have experience across a wealth of industries, topics, and compliance areas.
Courses keep participants interested with engaging audio, built-in exercises, and key points to remember. At the completion of every course, individuals take a quiz designed to test for competency in all the course material presented. Quiz results and course completion times are automatically recorded.
Every course can be tailored with supporting and custom documents. BLR provides supporting documents for courses that include complete slide show notes and the answer key for the included quiz. As the administrator, you have the option of displaying uploaded documents and requiring review before the session begins. This is especially useful for company policies or worksite-specific information. Supporting materials can be added, edited, or removed at any time.
With only a few minutes’ setup, your company will have a complete Web-based training program with professionally developed courses, employee testing capabilities, and systematic documentation of employee training sessions and scores. And remember, BLR TrainingToday courses can be delivered at individual employee desks, in computer centers, at training kiosks, or even in a classroom.
No wonder BLR TrainingToday was named “Best Workforce Training Solution” by the Software Information Industry Association. It can help you launch a cost-effective and successful employee training program.
We urge you to sign up for a no-obligation demo by visiting the award-winning TrainingToday. Or, feel free to call our customer service people toll-free at 866-696-4827.