Hazardous materials specialists are workers who respond and provide support to hazardous materials technicians. Their duties parallel those of the hazardous materials technicians, but they require more-specific knowledge of the various substances that must be contained.
Hazardous Materials Specialists
The hazardous materials specialist also acts as the site liaison with federal, state, and local authorities in regard to site activities. These specialists are required to receive at least 24 hours of training equal to the technical level and, in addition, training to allow for competence in the following areas:
- Knowledge of how to implement the local emergency response plan
- Understanding of the classification, identification, and verification of known and unknown materials by using advanced survey instruments and equipment
- Knowledge of the state emergency response plan
- Ability to select and use proper specialized chemical PPE
- Understanding of in-depth hazard and risk techniques
- Ability to perform specialized control, containment, and/or confinement operations within the capabilities of the resources and PPE available
- Ability to determine and implement decontamination procedures/techniques
- Ability to develop a site safety and control plan
- Understanding of chemical, radiological, and toxicological terminology and behavior
Meet your OSHA-required 8-, 24-, or 40-hour HAZWOPER training requirements with 17 audio training sessions on one DVD plus a comprehensive training manual. To get your HAZWOPER Training Library, click here.
Trainers who teach any of the above training subjects must have satisfactorily completed a training course for teaching the subjects they are expected to teach, such as the courses offered by the U.S. National Fire Academy, or they must have the training and/or academic credentials and instructional experience necessary to demonstrate competent instructional skills and a good command of the subject matter of the courses they are to teach.
Emergency response personnel must receive annual refresher training of sufficient content and duration to maintain their competencies, or personnel must demonstrate competency in the areas for which they received initial training. The employer must document that affected personnel have maintained competency, and keep a record of the methodology used to demonstrate competency.
Jump-start your HAZWOPER training program with BLR’s HAZWOPER Training Library. You won’t find a more thorough and effective course! Learn more.
Rely on the Highest Level of HAZWOPER Training
If you’re looking for high-quality, highly effective HAZWOPER training materials, you are looking for BLR’s HAZWOPER Training Library. This unique program includes 17 audio training presentations on DVD plus a 200+-page HAZWOPER training manual with tests, handouts, completion certificates, and an electronic version of the manual so you can easily take everything from location to location even if you don’t want to carry the manual! The handy outline tells you exactly what to present and when to meet either the 8-, 24-, or 40-hour requirements!
With this program, you will:
- Meet the 8-, 24-, and 40-hour HAZWOPER training requirements. Combine this comprehensive library with hands-on training to meet the 40-hour HAZWOPER training requirements. Train new employees or meet refresher training requirements without hiring expensive outside trainers.
- Save time and money with ready-to-use and accurate training materials.
- Ensure your training is effective. Employees will learn how to recognize, properly handle, and dispose of hazardous materials with this invaluable HAZWOPER safety training.
The DVD includes:
- Identifying Hazardous Materials
- Hazardous Waste Introductory Training
- Safe Chemical Handling
- Respiratory Protection
- HAZWOPER: On-Site Safety Considerations
- Hazardous Waste Emergency Response
- HAZWOPER: Facility Operations
- HAZWOPER: First Awareness Level
- HAZWOPER: Medical Surveillance Program
- Understanding Chemicals Under GHS
- PPE for Emergency Response
- HAZWOPER: Donning/Doffing/Decontamination
- Hazardous Materials Spill Cleanup
- Working Safely with Flammable Liquids
- Fire Extinguishers
- Emergency Action and Fire Prevention
Your 100% satisfaction is guaranteed. If, for any reason you are not completely satisfied with the HAZWOPER Training Program, simply let us know within 90 days, and we will issue you a complete refund. To find out how to order, click here.