Recruiting

Do You Have What It Takes to Attract the Class of 2020?

As the 2019–2020 school year kicks off, what better time to start preparing for these graduates’ entrance into the workforce than now? Do you have what the class of 2020 is looking for in an employer? If not, you’ve still got time to fix your culture, implement new technologies, and include the benefits Gen Z workers want from their employers. But what exactly is Gen Z looking for?class

A new survey—released by theEMPLOYEEapp from APPrise Mobile—comprises of 1,000 high school and college graduates, which reveals what these new entrants expect from their employers when it comes to flexible work options, company communications, and technology.

“This is a very interesting time for employers when it comes to understanding the needs and desires of employees entering the workplace for the first time,” says Jeff Corbin, CEO and Founder of theEMPLOYEEapp by APPrise Mobile, in a press release. “Given historically low unemployment rates and a strong labor market, it is important for employers to understand what employees expect from them to ensure their success not only when it comes to employee retention, but also to create the most attractive working environment.”

When asked what type of job they plan to pursue after graduation, nearly half of the graduates surveyed (45%) said they would pursue deskless employment (not requiring the use of desktop computers in their daily work) in industries such as health care, retail, transportation, hospitality, and manufacturing. The remaining respondents (55%) plan to work in office environments in industries such as professional services.

What Graduates Starting Deskless Positions Want

The data reveal that nearly half (46%) of respondents were high school graduates and 54% were college graduates.

The most important things graduates want in their new position are flexible and remote work options (49%); high-quality training and onboarding (48%); and communication of important company information and cultural fit/values that align with their own (both at 33%).

When it comes to technology, only 40% expect to receive a laptop or desktop computer from their new employer, and 31% expect to be provided with a mobile device from their company.

When asked what information is most important to them and what they expect to receive from their employers, top responses were HR information, such as benefits and 401(k)(47%); payroll (45%); and shift schedules/information (42%).

As for how they want to receive information, top responses were in-person communications (46%), personal e-mail (44%), text or SMS (35%), and mobile app (19%).

What Deskbound Workers Want

For graduates starting jobs in office/deskbound environments, the survey revealed that 24% were high school graduates and 76% were college graduates.

The most important things these graduates want in their new position are high-quality training and onboarding (51%); flexible and remote work options (45%); and a cultural fit/values that align with their own (38%).

When it comes to technology, 66% expect to receive a desktop or laptop computer from their new employer; 63% expect to receive a company e-mail address; and 40% expect to have access to their company’s Intranet.

When asked what information is most important to them and what they expect to receive from their employers, top responses were HR information, such as benefits and 401(k) (54%); payroll (47%); and training materials (43%).

For those entering deskbound positions, 62% said it’s “very important” to receive communications and hear from company senior leadership, and respondents expect these communications either at least once a month or several times a year.

As for how they want to receive information, top responses were in-person communications (44%), Intranet (34%), and text or SMS messages (30%).

Bottom Line for Employers

“Graduates entering the workforce, no matter which career path they intend to pursue, expect similar—if not the same things—from their employers,” Corbin says.

“As our survey shows, the incoming generation of employees expects greater flexibility in their ability to work remotely and via mobile,” he adds. “They want to have greater and transparent communications from their employers. They need easy access to the tools and resources that will allow them to be successful in their work as well as in their personal lives.”

“The reality is, the way in which today’s employees are accustomed to working is no different than what they experienced in high school and college. If employers want to stay competitive and to attract and retain talent, they need to adapt their work environments and communications efforts accordingly,” Corbin concludes. “We are hopeful that the results of our survey set the stage for this.”