The following is a list of the bestselling hardcover business books as ranked by the New York Times with data from Nielsen BookScan on August 28.
1. Reckless Endangerment: How Outsized Ambition, Greed, and Corruption Led to Economic Armageddon by Gretchen Morgenson and Joshua Rosner. This account of the Wall Street implosion highlights individuals who played crucial roles of responsibility.
2. Car Guys vs. Bean Counters: The Battle for the Soul of American Business by Bob Lutz. American manufactures focus should be on product quality not on quarterly projection.
3. The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich by Timothy Ferriss. Reconstructing your life so that it’s not all about work.
4. The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness by Dave Ramsey. Debt reduction and fiscal fitness for families, by the radio talk-show host.
5. Tomatoland: How Modern Industrial Agriculture Destroyed Our Most Alluring Fruit by Barry Estabrook. The history and agribusiness of today’s mass-produced tomato industry.
6. Switch: How to Change Things When Change Is Hard by Dan Heath and Chip Heath. The Heath brothers (coauthors of Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die) address motivating employees, family members, and ourselves in their analysis of why we too often fear change.
7. Strengths-Based Leadership by Tom Rath and Barry Conchie. Three keys to being a more effective leader.
8. The Most Important Thing: Uncommon Sense for the Thoughtful Investor (Columbia Business School Publishing) by Howard Marks. Successful investments are guided by thoughtful attention.
9. Delivering Happiness: A Path to Profits, Passion, and Purpose by Tony Hsieh. The visionary CEO of Zappos explains how an emphasis on corporate culture can lead to unprecedented success.
10. Get Rich Click!: The Ultimate Guide to Making Money on the Internet by by Marc Ostrofsky. An Internet entrepreneur’s strategies for earning money online.
11. Knowing Your Value: Women, Money and Getting What You’re Worth by Mika Brzezinski. Exploring what women can do to get the compensation they have earned.
12. The Money Class: Learn to Create Your New American Dream by Suze Orman. The noted personal financial adviser offers a reconsideration of the American dream.
13. Enchantment: The Art of Changing Hearts, Minds, and ActionsMarketing Books) by Guy Kawasaki. A former Apple employee explains how to gain professionally and personally by bringing about change in others.