“Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims of Aurora’s (Colorado) tragic shooting, along with their friends, family and community,” said Mayor Annise Parker. “I can’t imagine the horror and grief. If it is at all possible for any good to come out of it, perhaps it can be letting people know the options to consider if it happens again.”
“We hope our residents are never confronted with such an event, but we want to prepare them with some important information if they ever find themselves in this situation,” said Dennis J. Storemski, director of the Mayor’s Office of Public Safety and Homeland Security.
Although active shooter events are unpredictable, motives are different, and warning signs may vary, there are three things citizens can do to increase chances of safety and survival—Run. Hide. Fight.
Looking for exciting new ways to train your supervisors? Check out the HR Video Training for Supervisors Library from TrainingToday®. From hiring to discrimination to privacy, we have you covered. Get your FREE trial.
The City of Houston Mayor’s Office of Public Safety and Homeland Security produced the informational video “Run.Hide.Fight. Surviving an Active Shooter Event,” which reenacts various Run.Hide.Fight. scenarios. The video encourages citizens to evaluate the situation, and:
- Run if a safe path is available. Always try and escape or evacuate even if others insist on staying. Encourage others to leave with you, but don’t let the indecision of others slow down your own effort to escape.
- Once you are out of the line of fire, try to prevent others from walking into the danger zone and call 9-1-1.
- If you can’t get out safely, find a place to hide.
- When hiding, turn out lights, remember to lock doors and silence your ringer and vibration mode on your cell phone.
- As a last resort, working together or alone, act with aggression: Use improvised weapons and fight.
Need help training supervisors to ensure compliance with all Department of Labor (DOL) rules and regulations? TrainingToday’s HR Video Training for Supervisors Library gives you prewritten courses that provide training on all the essential do’s and don’ts. Try it FREE now.
Video Training That Works
Your organization’s leaders are hardworking, dedicated, and inspirational to their subordinates. But if you don’t provide essential employment law training, they can become a devastating liability. Their actions, responses, decisions, and comments can spark claims of harassment, discrimination, and more.
To help them succeed and to help shield your organization from legal entanglements, train on essential do’s and don’ts using the all-new HR Video Training for Supervisors Library from TrainingToday®. This compliance library includes expert advice from practicing licensed attorneys.
The HR Video Training for Supervisors Library allows you to:
- Train on demand. Employees can complete training anytime from anywhere. All they need is a computer and an Internet connection.
- Reinforce training topics with engaging graphics and quizzes to test their knowledge.
- Monitor and track the results of your training program with the built-in recordkeeping tool.
- Save costs. The more you train, the more cost-effective the training becomes.