Let’s continue our presentation of valuable leadership training information from BLR‘s PowerPoint™ session “Leadership Skills—What New Supervisors And Managers Need To Know.”
Six Degrees of Delegation
Give managers and supervisors these six steps in the delegation process:
- Determine the task.
- Define the task.
- Select the right person for the job.
- Explain the task.
- Provide support and feedback.
- Follow up to make sure the job has been done properly.
Make sure managers and supervisors know that when holding employees accountable for performance, effective leaders:
- Set appropriate standards.
- Make sure employees understand expectations.
- Monitor performance.
- Provide support and assistance as needed.
- Evaluate performance.
- Explain what to improve and how.
You know your managers could do a better job if they were trained, and now there’s a convenient and reasonable way to get it done—BLR’s Leadership Library at the online, 24/7, TrainingToday. Get More Information.
In addition, let them know that good leaders encourage employee participation by:
- Interacting with employees daily
- Asking for input
- Involving employees in decision making and problem solving
- Encouraging all employees to speak up at group meetings
- Reinforcing participation
Communicate How Leaders Communicate
Explain that leaders emphasize two-way communication with employees and provide both positive and corrective feedback as needed. For example, when giving feedback, they:
- Make feedback specific and timely.
- Ask employee for input.
- Identify what was done well or poorly.
- Limit feedback to one issue at a time.
- Explain why it is important.
- Follow up and provide additional feedback.
For Further Discussion
Here are some more recommended interactive activities to assist you as you conduct your leadership training program:
- Discuss the relationship between power and influence and how that affects a person’s effectiveness as a leader. Ask trainees to give examples of how they have used influence to get employees to do what needed to be done rather than just ordering them to do it.
- Discuss the qualities of effective leaders. Ask trainees to suggest other qualities that would make someone a good leader.
- Discuss the benefits of empowering employees and how to achieve this goal. Ask trainees to give examples of ways they empower their employees.
- Discuss the importance of accountability and the steps trainees can take to hold employees accountable while providing adequate support to ensure success.
- Ask trainees to describe how they encourage participation.
- Ask trainees to describe how they use feedback to motivate employees and encourage superior performance.
- Give trainees a quiz. (The BLR session which provided the information for today’s Advisor includes a prewritten quiz with answers.)
Trying to get your employees trained to show leadership? It isn’t easy to fit it in—schedulewise or budgetwise—but now there’s BLR’s Leadership for Employees Library. Train all your people, at their convenience, 24/7, for one standard fee. Get More Information.
How is your company doing with training new managers and supervisors to be effective leaders so they can contribute to your company’s success? Are they making mistakes from lack of training? Do they have time for adequate training?
There’s no doubt training can be a hassle—authorizing, planning, delivering, tracking—and it’s easy to let this critical priority slip.
To solve this problem, BLR has created a unique and helpful solution called TrainingToday.
This turnkey service requires no set up, no course development time, no software to install, and no new hardware. Your employees can self-register, and training can be taken anytime, anywhere (24/7) with nothing but a PC and an Internet connection. Courses take only about 30 minutes to complete.
Just as important, TrainingToday automatically documents training. As trainees sign on, their identifications are automatically registered. When the program is completed, the trainee’s score is entered. So, when you want to see who has or hasn’t yet trained on any subject or look at the across-the-board activity of any one employee, it’s all there, instantly available to you, your boss, an inspector—even a plaintiff’s attorney.
These are all motivational, actionable programs—for both employees and supervisors—in such key areas as sexual harassment, FMLA, diversity, communication, USERRA, recruiting, and many more. The courses are kept up to date to reflect federal and state regulatory changes and, what’s more, we add new programs continually.
The Leadership Library, for example, provides you with a sensible (and economic) solution.
The Leadership Library for Managers and Supervisors allows you to:
- Train on demand. Employees can complete training anytime from anywhere. All they need is a computer and an internet connection.
- Reinforce training topics with engaging graphics and quizzes to test their knowledge.
- Monitor and track the results of your training program with the built-in recordkeeping tool.
- Save costs. The more you train, the more cost-effective the training becomes.
The Leadership Library for Managers and Supervisors is a Web-based training tool that can be utilized by any organization. All you need is a computer and Internet access, and the library is open 24/7.
The Leadership Library trains your managers on the fundamental skills required for successful team management and organizational communication.
The courses cover a range of leadership and managerial topics, including the following:
- Business Writing Skills for Supervisors
- Dealing with Change: How Supervisors Can Help
- Motivating Employees: Tips and Tactics for Supervisors
- Effective Communication for Supervisors
- Conflict Resolution and Consensus Building
- Workplace Ethics for Supervisors
- Encouraging Employee Input
- Negotiation Skills For Supervisors
- Time Management for Supervisors
- Professional Behavior: What Supervisors Need to Know
- Performance Goals for Supervisors
- New Supervisors’ Guide to Effective Supervision
- Problem Solving for Supervisors
- How to Manage Challenging Employees
- Coaching for Superior Employee Performance: Techniques for Supervisors
- Effective Meetings: How-to for Supervisors
- Leadership Skills: What New Managers and Supervisors Need to Know
This turnkey service requires no setup, no course development time, no software installation, and no new hardware. Your employees can self-register, and training can be taken anytime (24/7), anywhere there is a PC and an Internet connection. Courses take only about 30 minutes to complete.
TrainingToday automatically documents training. As trainees sign on, their identifications are automatically registered. When the program is completed, the trainee’s score is entered. So, when you want to see who has been trained on any subject, or look at the across-the-board activity of any one employee, it’s all there, instantly available.
Course certificates can be automatically generated from within the training center and are automatically retained for recordkeeping purposes.
Get started today on helping your managers and supervisors be the best they can be!