Most of the money and time companies spend on training is wasted, says John Tschohl, president of Service Quality Institute and author of Achieving Excellence Through Customer Service. That’s because the majority of companies use outdated training ideas and boring training methods.
He says that over the years in his work in the training field, he’s seen 10 reasons why group training fails. For the first six mistakes, click here. Here are the last four:
- Irrelevant information: If the material is not relevant to their jobs, people will not accept the information. They want ideas they can use immediately.
- Bad physical environment: Learning can’t take place if people are not comfortable. Invest in a room that looks pleasant and professional. It sounds basic, but make sure the room is well heated or cooled and has comfortable seats. Offer refreshments. Add audio and video presentation equipment. Make sure there aren’t any outside distractions, such as noise.
Unlimited employee HR training—one low cost—no setup, no software to install. Find out why the Software & Information Industry Association voted TrainingToday® the “Best Workforce Training Solution.” Go here for more information or to sign up.
- Repeating the same training programs and materials: A child can watch the same program 50 times, but an adult can’t watch the same training materials twice. Companies need to bring in new trainers who have new information and different teaching styles. Companies should also invest in new training materials to spice things up.
- Not taking today’s young people’s learning styles into mind: The vast majority of workers are young people. They learn differently than previous generations and they get bored easily. Look at the games they play on their phones. They want to be entertained. If the training isn’t entertaining, you lose the participation.
“Training costs a lot of money and takes a lot of time. Labor time is your single biggest cost. If participants aren’t listening, then you’ve wasted all your money. If you do it right, then training is a wise investment. If you make mistakes, it will hurt the company and the employees,” he said.
No time to prepare or deliver training? With BLR’s TrainingToday®, your employees can start taking essential training courses the same day you sign up. Workers (and supervisors) train at their convenience, 24/7. We track and you save with this turnkey solution. Yes, it really can be this simple. Learn more.
Effective Training Available Now
Looking for ways to avoid these 10 mistakes that trainers make? Look no farther than the HR Library from Training Today.
Now you can run your training program like a pro with our new TrainingToday system. This dynamic training resource provides course content on safety, ethics, sexual harassment, the FMLA, the ADA, and much more.
TrainingToday is a leading provider of online education programs for employees and supervisors. Each course in our extensive library addresses a specific topic with engaging and interactive presentations, delivering practical advice and clear instructions that trainees will remember long after the training is complete.
Three Delivery Platforms
TrainingToday offers you the option of three delivery platforms to meet your organization’s needs:
- Unlimited training for your whole organization for one flat fee
- Easy to start up and track trainee progress
- Hundreds of courses available, from employment law compliance to sales excellence
The Enterprise platform includes all the features of the Professional version, plus it will:
- Track and report capability with the built-in comprehensive Learning Management System (LMS);
- Train with courses as they are or make them truly your own with our customization options; and
- Upload your own content (PowerPoint®, video, Sharable Content Object Reference Model (SCORM) files, etc.) to the LMS in addition to using our comprehensive training courses.
- Integrate content into your existing LMS.
- Easily tailor to your content, logo, presentation style, and corporate policies.
- SCORM-compliant to integrate with existing corporate learning systems.
Here are just some of the many courses available at TrainingToday:
[Click here to download information on all courses and libraries.]
Over 75 HR and employment training courses covering such topics as sexual harassment, diversity, and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
The diversity library is an interactive training program with different modules for supervisors and employees. It features real-world scenarios and insightful commentary from a leading workplace expert and employment law attorney.
Until now, training has been a real challenge—there’s such a load of extraneous planning, preparing, and tracking involved. But we have good news—BLR’s editors have developed a unique new program so all that work is done for you.
It’s called TrainingToday. This turnkey service requires no setup, no course development time, no software installation, and no new hardware. Your employees can self-register, and training can be taken anytime (24/7) and anywhere there is a PC and an Internet connection. Courses take only about 30 minutes to complete.
TrainingToday automatically documents training. As trainees sign on, their identifications are automatically registered. When the program is completed, the trainee’s score is entered. So, when you want to see who has been trained on any subject or look at the across-the-board activity of any one employee, it’s all there, instantly available to you, your boss, an inspector—even a plaintiff’s attorney.
Course certificates can be automatically generated from within the training center and are automatically retained for recordkeeping purposes.
Unlimited Training That Won’t Bust the Budget
Best of all, in these budget-crunching times, TrainingToday costs only a fraction of what you would pay for an LMS. You always know exactly what training will cost, no matter how many programs you use or how many times you use them. There’s just one low, annual fee—for unlimited training—calculated by the size of your workforce. Budget once and you’re done!
These are all motivational, actionable courses—for both employees and supervisors—in such key areas as sexual harassment, the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), diversity, communication, the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA), recruiting, and many more. The courses are kept up to date to reflect federal and state regulatory changes, and what’s more, BLR® adds new programs continually.
TrainingToday also includes a selection of safety courses—you decide whether you want just the HR courses, the safety courses, or both.
If it sounds as if we’re excited about this new service, well, we are—and so is the Software & Information Industry Association, which just voted TrainingToday (formerly the Employee Training Center) the “Best Workforce Training Solution.” Find out what all the buzz is about—sign up for a no-obligation trial to TrainingToday.